McCAIN'S NO. 2
The following names have been raised as possible vice presidential running mates for the likely Republican presidential nominee, Sen. John McCain of Arizona:
• South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford: Strong conservative credentials, would be great for outreach to Mr. McCain's conservative critics.
• Florida Gov. Charlie Crist: Popular governor who helped deliver Florida in the primary, could help deliver it in the general election.
• Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas: Provides a conservative-leaning female face to round out the ticket.
• Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty: Moderate Republican who was an early supporter of Mr. McCain's, could help deliver his swing state in the general election.
• Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal: Rising star among Republicans, he has many already thinking president.
• Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana: Solid conservative pick.
• Sen. Richard M. Burr of North Carolina: Friend of Mr. McCain's and an early supporter in the campaign.
• Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina: Longtime supporter on issue after issue, and possibly his closest partner in the Senate.
• Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice: Would bring balance to the ticket demographically and would underscore the national security credentials of the Republican team.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Posted by Echo1 at 3:02 PM